Saturday, December 12, 2015

New lines for the new season

The monsoon season is almost upon us and usually around this time, it's not advisable to go deep sea fishing as the waves/winds can make the seas very rough. So I'm taking this opportunity to put in new lines for my heavy gears.

To de-spool a reel, I would just attach a metal rod to a drill. Scrunch up a piece of paper onto the metal rod and tie one end of the unwanted line around the paper. Then turn on the drill and spin away! Guide the unwanted line as it spins on the paper until you reach the end. Then just slip out the paper and line off the metal rod and trash it. Done!

First up is my Accurate DPX500N. Been using Sufix 832 50lb (Green) braid line since I bought the reel in 2013. I had "reversed" the line last year so I thought it's about time for a change. Since the Sufix 832 has not failed me, I decided to stick with it but changed the color to white. Filled up using a 300yd (275m) spool.


Next up is my Shimano Talica 8 II. Again, I stuck with the Fireline Tracer 40lb braid since I had no problem with it so far.  Full 300yd (275m) spool.



Since I had my DIY spooler out, I decided to change the line on my Shimano Saros 1000F reel which had Fireline Fluorobraid. Going lighter so spooled it up with a Sufix Fuse 8lb (blue smoke) for use at ponds or kayaking. As its a small reel, I spooled in only 90m, which is more than sufficient for pond or kayak.

All done!


+++ TIPS +++
How often you change your fishing line will depend on how often you fish. You can 'prolong' the use of your fishing braid by simply "reversing" the line. Normal braid lines come with 125yards or 300yards. I normally use the 300yards spool for my heavy tackle reels. So the first 100yd of braid line is used most often, leaving the remainder 200yd barely used. So what I do is I "reverse" the line so that the unused portion now becomes the front and the used portion goes to the bottom. I do this after 1 year. This gives me a lifespan of about 2 years worth of fishing from one 300yd spool of braid.
+++ TIPS +++

No comments:

Post a Comment