Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Seven Sea Conqueress Trip #2 - Groupers Galore!

Joined another trip on Seven Sea Conqueress in Dec. Hoping that it'll be better than the one I had last year.

Started our journey at 8:30am and got our live prawn baits. We took about 1.5hrs to get to the first fishing spot, which was in front of East Coast Park. Started fishing but there was no bites. Shifted 3-4 spots in the area but still no bites. There was the odd small fish hooked up but nothing else. I had a small bite and when I reeled it in, here's the result:


Seems like a small fish took a bite on the live prawn.

Everybody was getting frustrated with the lack of fish so we had our lunch and we finally moved to another spot at 12:30pm.

This time we were fishing in front of the Tg Rhu area. We were drift fishing amongst the anchored ships when finally someone hooked up a nice Orange-spotted Grouper around 2kg. Then a few others hooked up in succession.

Current was slightly strong but I still could use my trusty Shimano Lucanus Orange 100g jig. This time I put a live prawn on the hooks of the jig. Lowered the jig down and waited. Felt a tug but when I released some line, the fish didn't take the bait properly and the hook failed to set. Re-baited the rig and sent it down again. A few minutes later, the tug was stronger and I just kept reeling. FISH ON! Felt quite a bit of weight on it and slowly reeled the fish to the surface. Another Orange-spotted Grouper around 1.5kg.



The boat was re-positioned for another drift and I was all ready. I had 2 bites on that drift but was unable to get a proper hookup. Disappointed, I tried positioning the prawn higher up on the hooks, hoping to get a better hookup rate. 3rd drift I had another tug and I quickly reeled. Felt some weight initially then the fish was off again! Darn it!

Other anglers were hooking up the fish on Apollo rigs with good success. As the current became stronger towards the afternoon, I too had to change to Apollo rigs to keep the baits right at the bottom. But that was the only action I had after that.

We stopped fishing at 4pm as it was going to take 1.5hrs to get back to the marina.


Quite a fruitful day, even though the fish only started biting towards the afternoon.

Total catch - 33 Groupers.

Took my one and only Grouper back for dinner!

Gear used:
Rod - Eupro Salty Fighter PE0.8-2.0
Reel - Shimano Talica 8 II
Line - Fireline Tracer 40lb
Bait - Shimano Lucanus 100g Orange
Rig - Leader to jig

Fish ID - Orange-Spotted Grouper (Epinephelus coioides)

No comments:

Post a Comment