Friday, April 10, 2015

Getting excited on Wilderness Island

Can't wait for my trip to Wilderness Island, Exmouth to start tomorrow!

I got to know about this place while reading my subscription to the Western Angler magazine. I was really drawn to the fact that this will be a kayak fishing trip and catching big fish on a kayak just sounds awesome! This trip was arranged more than 6 months ago. I like that this place is still "wild" and basically, I'll be sleeping "bush-style" and I really hope the fishing is as great as described!

After some emails to the organizer Scott Coghlan, he managed to arrange for a kayak for me to fish on at Wilderness Island. So I hope to catch some big fish on a kayak.

Based on Scott's information, the waters we will be fishing in are only max 6-10m deep. So I will be bringing quite a lot of lures, soft plastics and micro jigs. He did ask me to get some poppers and stickbaits as well. So, here's my arsenal:


I'm bringing the following gear:

Reels
Shimano Saros 2500 with 15lb braid
Shimano Stradic Ci4 3000 with 35lb braid
Shimano Slade 4000 with 35lb braid
Shimano Curado 201HG with 15lb braid

Rods
2 x Shimano TCurve Revolution Tropical PE1-2
Okuma Nomad Travel 3-piece PE1-2
Berkley Nomadic Travel Baitcast


I sure hope my gear would be sufficient for the fishing conditions there. This is also my first time fishing purely using lures and soft plastics.

I'm taking a flight to Perth and then transit for 4hrs before taking a connecting QantasLink flight from Perth to Learmonth (Exmouth). I'm supposed to check-in at the Novotel Ningaloo Resort Hotel at Exmouth when I get in. And the hotel is about 35km from the Learmonth airport so I'll be taking the Exmouth Bus Charter from the airport.

Logging off!

Check back for catch reports!



No comments:

Post a Comment