Monday, November 3, 2014

Sport Fishing Explorer Trip #4 - Quiet but BIG!

I was informed by Alvin of a slot available on Ah Jiang's boat so I decided to take it. After my awesome fishing adventure in Broome, I was kinda relaxed for this trip, not putting my expectations too high on the catch rate, although it was supposed to be 'good current' during the trip.

Boarded the boat at Marina Country Club and we set off. Met some of the usual kakis on board as they prepared their gear. I quickly set up mine and went to sleep as the trip eastwards would take 4-5hrs. 

I was checking out the tides and according to the website, it details the best time the fish are biting. I'm planning to fish according to the said times to see how well things work out.




At the first spot, lines were in the water but I did not get any bites. Later at night, we spent a few hours catching squid to use as bait for the next few days. Unfortunately, there weren't many squid around but we managed to get just enough. 


Woke up prior to sunrise to fish. Baited my Apollo rig with a live squid and sent it down. Was still using a size 16 sinker due to the current. Felt a light tap on the rod and I waited. I slowly lifted the rod and straight away, the fish bit and took off! I striked the rod and fish ON! Quickly brought it up and it was a table-sized Ikan Tanda (Russell's Snapper).  Other anglers managed to bring up some decent-sized Ang Chor (John's Snapper) and Boon Nang (Golden Trevally). As usual, it's always the angler that's next to you that's catching the fish! 


After lunch, we anchored at a spot and I got my first fish. Small red-coloured fish. Anglers on board called it a Red Ruby and supposedly rare in shallow waters. As it was rather small, I released it. Next thing I know, other anglers were catching them on sabiki rigs. We must've hit a school of them cos they were bringing them up and filling almost a bucket! The deckies were planning to deep-fry the fish for dinner later. So I decided to get in on the action. I tied a blue jig and started jigging. Knowing that the fish were holding close to bottom, I just let my jig sink to the bottom and started jiggling the rod. Sure enough, hooked up another fish. The jig was quite large but still the fish took it. After 20mins or so, the action died down and I went back to bottom fishing.
Can anyone ID this fish?


Prior to sunset, I hooked up 2 smallish Cloudy Groupers(no pics) and a Spanish Flag. Then it was quiet all the way. We changed a few more spots with catches being spotty. Checking my GPS, I noticed we were quite a long way away from Hosburgh Lighthouse and most likely we will be steaming home from our last spot for a good 5-6hrs. So I decided to fish through the last night.

Set up my ranggong rig with 4/0 J hook and pinned a live squid on it. There was a few subtle bites and I kept losing the bait. Found a bigger live squid and sent it down. Just as I was nodding off around 4am, I was awaken by shouts of "Fish ON!". Looked up to see it was MY rod that was buckling over! Woo hoo!!! The deckie grabbed the rod first and set the hook and passed me the rod. I fought the fish and it was a hard fighter. Midway I changed my reel to low gear so that I could crank it easier. But sometimes I felt like I've lost the fish when I didn't feel any weight. But as the leader came to into view, saw that it was a Ang Chor (John's Snapper). Huge bugger! It was netted up and high-fives all around!! This is my biggest Snapper to date!! I'm going to have a very nice Fish Head Curry very soon!! Hahhahahahaa......


Just before sunrise, we headed back and true enough, it was a 6hr journey back to port. Went to sleep in the bunk and by the time I woke up, all the fish had been cleaned from our respective ice boxes. Wasn't a fantastic trip but the huge Snapper made the trip worthwhile for me.

Looking back at the solunar charts, seems that only the period of 05:58-07:58 on 30 Oct was rather productive. It actually continued till about 10am. Although the chart was for Singapore, again there is some variable to the chart as we were fishing north-east of Hosburgh Lighthouse. I think I'll be using these charts with a pinch of salt in the future. Something is better than nothing, right?

Gear used:
Rod - Expert Graphite JigForce PE3-6
Reel - Accurate DPX-500N
Line - Sufix 832 50lb with 60lb Black Magic leader
Bait - live prawn / live squid
Rig - Apollo style (day), Ranggong style (night)

Fish ID - Ang Chor aka John's Snapper (Lutjanus johnii)
             - Ikan Tanda aka Russell's Snapper (Lutjanus russelli)

No comments:

Post a Comment