Thursday, November 20, 2014

Tackle Review - Shimano Stradic Ci4 3000FA & Shimano TCurve Revolution Travel Inshore Tropical

I had purchased the Stradic Ci4 3000FA reel to use for my trip to Broome, Western Australia. I knew I would have quite a few bruising encounters there so I needed a reel that could stand the test. As for the rod, I have been using the TCurve Revolution Travel Inshore Tropical for close to 2yrs now. Unfortunately, this rod is only available in the Australian market.

Reel review
I spooled the reel with Sufix 832 30lb braid and connected it with a FG knot to a 40lb Black Magic Fluorocarbon leader. The first fish that I caught on this reel was a 8kg Golden Trevally. I had set the drag before fishing but I totally underestimated the power of the fish in Broome. The first fish took the line out like nothing until I had to readjust the drag setting. The cranking was smooth and although the reel knob was smallish, I had no problem gripping and winding with it. The reel weight felt just right for casting, without feeling tired. 

Rod review
I have been using this 3-piece rod for almost 2yrs for pond and kayak fishing. It's light and rated at 5-8kg, (PE1.1-1.7). I know there is a perception among anglers that 1-piece rods are superior to all other rods but I think with rod building technology nowadays, the difference isn't that much. The 3 pieces fit nicely on each other and feels like a 1-piece rod. The Golden Trevally initial hits and fights are hard encounters. The rod performed admirably and I could control the fish with the rod. Lifting forcefully to prevent the fish from diving under the corals is possible, with the rod bending to almost a U shape! I must say I was concerned for a short while whether the rod could endure such a punishment. Impressively, the rod held up and gave me the confidence of how much the rod can handle. The length of the rod is also perfect for casting. Jig weights up to 120g is comfortable but anything beyond that becomes unbalanced and tiring. The only downside is that the rod butt is rather short and you do not have much leverage when fighting the fish, especially if its a big fish. I had to jam the rod butt on my waist pouch and hold the foam grip above the reel seat to get some leverage. I think the rod is designed more for casting lures or jigs in the mangroves or shallow water rather than fighting the brutes in deeper water. But it has proven itself in handling most of the toughest fish in the deep water. Just be prepared for some arm-aching action!

Nice bend on the rod. Holding the upper part of the rod for better leverage.

Golden Trevally, true brutes of the seas! Subdued by an awesome pairing of Stradic Ci4 3000FA and TCurve Revolution Travel Inshore Tropical 3-piece rod.



No comments:

Post a Comment