Monday, September 10, 2012

The one that got away

It's been quite a while since I last launched at Sembawang Park. So today I tried something a bit different. I went to Sincere Tackle to load up with $10 worth of live prawn and launched at Sembawang Park after lunch in order to catch the outgoing tide.

Paddled to the stumps and started drift fishing around it. I casted to all sides of the structure and was rewarded with a palm-sized Ang Chor (John's Snapper). Released it quickly and continued to fish. As it was rather quiet for a while, I paddled off towards the river mouth, hoping to see if any predatory fishes were waiting at the river mouth to ambush the baitfish. Hung around there for an hour or so but no action.

Paddled back to the stumps and tried casting out a live prawn again. This time, as the prawn was sinking, I could already feel the erratic movements of the prawn. Next thing I know, my rod jerked forward and I could hear my reel drag screaming away. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz! I hung on to the rod but now the fish went around the stumps and I tried to angle the rod and line away from the barnacle-covered stump. Next thing I know, SNAP!!! I got busted off when the braided line rubbed the stump too hard. Aaaaaahhhhhhhhh!!!!!!

Can't believe I lost what could have been a very big fish! Paddled home slowly, feeling dejected.........

No comments:

Post a Comment