Saturday, September 29, 2012

PCG Encounter

I had an encounter with the Singapore Police Coast Guard (PCG) today whilst kayak fishing at Sembawang Park.

 I was 'pulled over' by PCG at the end of my fishing session today for 'landing my kayak on a protected area'. What was I doing? I was standing knee-deep in water taking a piss! Yes, even if you need to pee, you CANNOT land/walk/wade in a protected area. While I was being 'interrogated' by the PCG, the junior officer started saying:
1) since the land is protected area, the waters off the land are also protected areas. (Not true)
2) He also said I should get a bigger boat so that I won't get into trouble(??).
3) fishing near a kelong is not allowed. (Not true but be considerate to the kelong owners)

After a few more exchanges, I said to him that I am aware of all the prohibited areas as stated in the MPA circular and this area(water) is not part of it. Moreover, after I was done peeing, I went back into my kayak. It was not as though I was fishing from the shore on the protected area. Seeing that he couldn't 'scare' me, they went into their boat and after 10mins, the senior officer came out to explain to me nicely. He advised me not to land on the protected area anymore as its against the law. I then purposely questioned him as to whether I can continue to fish in the waters off the protected area. He sheepishly said yes, as long as no landing on the protected area.

All kayak anglers should familiarize themselves with all the danger/restricted/prohibited areas that they plan to fish in. Its when you know what's right and wrong, then you won't be 'bullied' into something which may not be true.

No comments:

Post a Comment