Monday, December 12, 2011

New launch site

Decided to try a new launch site today. Pasir Ris Park seems like a safe place for kayak beginners. The waters are relatively calm and the blue barrels do provide some 'shelter' from the waves. I made my way out of the barriers just after sunrise towards Pulau Serangoon. I did look ups some markings on the Navionics app prior to heading out.

I navigated using the app and anchored up to what I think was some underwater structure. Baited up with dead prawn and started fishing. Not much action until about 8am when my rod bent straight down! I quickly strike and fish ON! Fight didn't last long and up came an Orange-Spotted Grouper. Fish released after photo to fight another day.


An hour later, got another hit. This fella was a bit more feisty. A couple of small runs, then it surfaced. A juvenile John's Snapper. Nice colouring too! This fish was released as well.


Nothing else came to play so I headed back to shore to pack up. Managed to wash my kayak at the public toilets so that I don't have to do it at home. Awesome benefit for launching here!

Gear used:
Rod - Shimano Eclipse Telescopic 3-4kg
Reel - Shimano Saros 1000F
Line - generic 20lb braid
Bait - dead prawn
Rig - Carolina style

Fish ID - Orange-Spotted Grouper (Epinephelus coioides)
             - Ang Chor aka John's Snapper (Lutjanus johnii)

No comments:

Post a Comment