Tuesday, December 13, 2011

First trip on Ah Fong's boat

I've never tried fishing on charter boats in Singapore before. So when saw that there was a slot available for fishing at Changi waters on Fishingkaki website, I decided to join. Contacted the organizer, Alvin and secured my spot.

Reached Changi Point Ferry terminal and introduced myself to Alvin. I actually brought with me my kayak fishing gear for this trip as I don't know what to expect. After buying live prawns from a farm near Pulau Ubin, we set off to the fishing grounds. As I was watching the other anglers getting their gear ready, I realized that my gear was utterly inferior to what was being used! I saw overhead reels, large spinning reels, thick 1pc rods and size 4-8 sinkers. And here I was, using a telescopic rod, 1000 sized reel and split shots! I think the other anglers were laughing at me......

So without backup gear, I proceeded to use my UL gear. I had to tie two sized 3 sinkers on my rig just to get it down to the bottom. Even with that, my line was just flying out, unable to reach bottom. I had to borrow a heavier sinker from Alvin.

As the hours went by, quite a few fish were caught by other anglers. Groupers, Ang Chor (John's Snapper), Kaci (Painted Sweetlips) and Threadfin Salmon. I was still a zero fighter. In the late afternnon, as we were drifting near the shipping channel, there were 3 multiple hookups. As I sat there, envious of the anglers bringing the Groupers up. my telescopic rod bent double! SHIT, all I could do was hold on. I tried pulling the rod up and started reeling. The next run, the fish went deep and as I pulled the rod up, SNAP!! My telescopic rod broke! I thought, gone already! Holding on to the rod butt and reel, I felt again the fish pulling. So I quickly reeled up with whatever rod I had and managed to bring the fish up. It turned out to be a Grouper of about 1.5kg.



With the fish safely in the ice box, I looked down at my broken rod and told myself, I need to upgrade my gear for charter boat fishing!

Gear used:
Rod - Shimano Eclipse Telescopic 3-4kg  (broken!)
Reel - Shimano Saros 1000F
Line - generic 20lb braid
Bait - live prawn
Rig - Apollo style

Fish ID - Malabar Grouper (Epinephelus malabaricus)

No comments:

Post a Comment