Saturday, May 16, 2015

Rompin #2 - Day 1 - Sails and Macks

I managed to join a group of kakis who had a slot available for Rompin. As it so happens, one of them was a kaki that I fished with way back in 2012 at Rompin as well for sailfish on kayaks. So, I was pretty comfortable in knowing that its going to be an easy-going group of kakis.

We met up at E-Waves at Clementi for the transport pickup and went across to JB. Lunch at a Bak Kut Teh place and then to a tackle shop (where else!). The guys bought some stuff while I just browsed around. After the retail therapy, off we went to Mersing first. Reached Mersing and stopped at the supermarket to load up on drinks/water and tidbits. When we finally reached Rompin, it was already 9pm. Checked into our accomodations next to the jetty. I must say the rooms were pretty clean and basic. Air-conditioned and hot water. Spent the rest of the night rigging for the next days fishing.



Woke up and got ready for launch at 8am. Boatman Ah Ren was already there so we set off earlier. First spot was to catch baitfish to catch Sailfish today. Hit a few unjams and caught some Tamban fish to use as bait. There wasn't as many baitfish as the last time I fished in Rompin. We actually spent quite some time to catch enough baitfish to last us the whole day. Gone were the days where each drop of the sabiki would probably yield like 4-5 baitfish per drop. When we had enough baitfish, we went to the Sailfish spot which was close to another unjam. Rigged up the live tamban and let it float out. While waiting, I continued to fish for any baitfish hanging around the unjam. Fishing was pretty quiet till just before lunch when Lawrence managed to hook up a small Tenggiri aka Spanish Mackerel on a jig. Nice size for dinner!

Having moved a few spots, we arrived at another spot after lunch. Out went the live baits and we waited. It was pretty quiet when Philip's reel went off! Then, the reel next to it also went off! Double hook-up! Finally, fish ON! As I was closest to the other rod, the boatman handed me the rod and I just held on as the fish was pulling out line. Out jumped a nice Sailfish and Philip was slowly fighting his fish. Mine was also a Sailfish as it jumped further away. It then sped off on a quick burst of speed and then I felt the line went limp..............not again. Reeled back to see that the circle hook was still attached. Wasn't a solid hook-up after all. Philip was still connected and after about 10mins, the fish just stayed below the surface. When the fish was reeled closer to the boat, we found that the hook had somehow got caught on the tail of the Sailfish and was being pulled backwards. Fearing the Sailfish might be distressed from being pulled backwards, we quickly lifted the fish out of the water for a few quick snaps before returning it into the water to be revived. After swimming it next to the boat for another 5-7mins, it was strong enough to kick itself free and swam away.



This is the 2nd time this month that I've lost a big fish due to poor hook-ups. I think I have more experience losing fish than hooking them. Sigh......................

The live baits went out again. This time I tried bridling my baitfish. I had bought a bridling needle and tried a method I saw in a fishing magazine. Slipped a small rubber band (from my daughter's loom bands) to the end of the needle and pierced the needle through the dorsal part of the fish. Formed 2 loops on the rubber band and slipped the circle hook through it. A couple of twist and then back under the twist and all done! It held up pretty well with the whole hook exposed. Tossed the bait out the back of the boat and it was still swimming pretty strongly. I then went to the front to do some jigging. A few minutes later, I heard a shout that my rod was ON! I ducked under and saw the boatman holding the rod with a fish on definitely! As I was making my way back, the rod snapped back and the fish was gone...... Reeled in and saw that my 50lb FC leader was cut with some frays. Boatman said it was the work of a Tenggiri. Looks like my rubber band bridling did work to entice the fish to bite. Everybody else began to add a wire trace to their leaders and sent out the live baits.

A few minutes later, another reel started screaming! This time it was James' turn. As usual, the first run was powerful with subsequent ones less so. Shortly thereafter, the fish was brought boat-side. A quick gaff shot and the Tenggiri was on board.

We moved to another few spots but no other catches. So we ended the day with 2 Tenggiri, 1 Barracuda, 1 Sailfish caught and released and 1 Sailfish lost.

Over dinner, we discussed with the boatman on the next days' plans. It was decided that we would leave early and head off to do some bottom fishing and then after lunch, head back to the unjams to try for Tenggiri and end the day catching some squids.

Sounds good!

No comments:

Post a Comment