Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Changi Ah Fong Trip #3 - 100% Conversion rate

This was sort of a last minute boat charter on Ah Fong's boat. Organizer Eric posted up  just last week and since I'm off, I decided to join in. It's been a long time since I fished on Ah Fong's boat, the last 2 times were at least more than 1 year ago. Now fishing on a bigger bumboat!

Set off to buy our live prawns and headed to the fishing grounds. Today the water between Changi and Naval Base was brown, it only changed to light green when we passed the east of Naval Base. So I guess today we would be fishing at south of Naval Base.

Decided to fish using my Shimano Lucanus Orange/White jig with a live prawn. First few spots were very quiet. I somehow managed to foul hook a small puffer fish and nothing else. Low tide was at 12pm and there wasn't much current at where we were fishing. Fishing was unusually quiet by Ah Fong's standards. The fish weren't biting at all till after lunch time. We were drifting at the Eastern Anchorage and I was fishing at the front of the boat with Ah Fong. He had a 2-hook rig with running sinker. Shortly thereafter, he hooked up. It was a big fish, judging by the bend on his fishing rod. Up came a very big Ang Chor (by Changi standards!). I netted the fish and everybody began to fish with earnest! We drifted over the spot a few more times but nothing was biting. Think the current has started to move now.

Shifted to another spot at the Anchorage and again, Ah Fong hooked up. Similar sized Ang Chor was brought up and could see it was partially foul hooked. Seems his 2-hook rig has some 'insurance'! I was still using my Lucanus jig, bouncing on the bottom when I felt a mild tapping. I lowered the rod tip and BANG! Fish ON! The fish was giving me a rather good fight but I just continued cranking without pumping the fishing rod. Up came another Ang Chor about the same size. The fish weighed in at 1.1kg. Woohoo!! I never expected to catch an Ang Chor this size in Changi waters. So glad my Lucanus worked and it seems the Orange/White color is super effective. I remember my big Grouper catch on Ah Heng's boat at Southern Islands was also using the Orange/White color.





Re-baited the Lucanus jig and dropped it over. Within 5mins, I felt some tapping again. Lowered the rod tip but nothing.... Lifted the rod tip and BANG! Immediately the fish darted down and began pulling my drag. I realized my drag setting was not set to STRIKE on my Talica 8II so I quickly pushed it to STRIKE. Even at STRIKE setting, the fish was pulling out line. I could hear Ah Fong shouting "Don't tighten drag too much!" so I released the drag lever a bit. The fish made a few short downward burst and then as I reeled it up, it tried to dash off again. In doing so, it went around a few other angler's fishing lines. Fearing that my line could get cut in the line tangle, I tried hard to reel it up as fast as I could but this fella was really heavy! Finally it surfaced and to my surprise, it was a JUMBO Eng Ko!! I'm shocked!! Ah Fong netted it up and true enough, it was tangled with 3 other lines. Slowly untangled all the lines and unhooked the fish. I'm so happy and I'm dancing a jig in my head!! Hahahahaha..... A couple of pictures and then the fish weighed in at an eye-popping 2.8kg! My personal best Eng Ko!



Around 2:30pm, we headed back into the waters between Changi and Tekong. The waters were still brown/brackish looking and we just drifted towards the jetty. Along the way, my Lucanus got stuck and was unable to shake it free. Unfortunately, I had to pull and snapped the line. Bye bye my Lucanus,.....

Decided to tie a running sinker rig instead for the last few hours. Hooked a prawn on and dropped it over. About 10mins later, I felt the prawn darting around. Really active prawn or it's being chased by something...... Then I felt a sharp tug. I let it munch a bit more than I striked! Fish ON! This fish felt lighter so I slowly reeled it in. Up came a Orange-Spotted Grouper. Not a big fella but when I brought it up on deck, something unusual was in its mouth. Had a closer look..... it was a plastic bag!! Removed the plastic bag and it looks like there's some "stuff" inside the torn plastic bag. I guess this fish was trying to eat whatever that was inside the bag and decided to swallow it! And he was still hungry enough to have a go at my prawn. Unhooked the fella and he weighed in at 800g. Not too shabby!




Other anglers were also beginning to catch fish. Flathead, Gu Hood, Malabar Grouper, Kaci and a few more smaller Ang Chor were landed.

At the end of the trip, the 2 Ang Chor that Ah Fong caught were put in lucky draw to see who gets to bring them home. I opted out since I had my 3 fish already.

It was a good day fishing for me. Although it started out real slow, but I guess I was pretty lucky to hook up all my fish.

3 bites, 3 hookups, 3 fish landed! That's 100% conversion rate!

I've never been this lucky before.............


Gear used:
Rod - Eupro Salty Fighter PE0.8-2.0
Reel - Shimano Talica 8II
Line - Sufix 832 40lb braid
Jig - Shimano Lucanus jig Orange/White
Rig - running sinker 40lb mono with live prawn

Fish ID - Orange-Spotted Grouper (Epinephelus coioides)
              - Eng Ko aka Blackspot Tuskfish (Choerodon schoenleinii)
              - Ang Chor aka John's Snapper (Lutjanus johnii)

No comments:

Post a Comment