Thursday, June 2, 2011

Beware the spines!

Was out fishing yesterday and caught a few Duri (Marine Catfish). Was aware of their sharp spines so was quite careful in handling near my inflatable kayak. On the 2nd duri, the fella somehow did a somersault as I was dislodging the hook(didn't bring my boga) and fell right smack onto my kayak. Next thing I heard was "Pssssss" . All expletives came out but now here I am with a leak on my kayak and having to cut my trip short. The kayak didn't deflate completely as it has dual chambers. It was a slow leak as well so even when I reached shore, it just felt a bit 'soft'.


The culprit!

Went home to check on the puncture and found 1 leak about 2mm and another about 1mm. Looks like I've got some repair work to do before my next outing.

I think the next time I catch a duri, I shall cut my line at the hook end and leave it. Not worth the puncture to retrieve the hook.

Gear used:
Rod - Shimano Eclipse Telescopic 3-4kg
Reel - Tica
Line - generic 8lb monofilament
Bait- dead prawn
Rig - Carolina style

No comments:

Post a Comment