Thursday, April 10, 2014

Very pretty Grouper

Launched from Pasir Ris Park with the intention of fishing near the kelongs outside the blue barrels. I pedalled to a spot that I previously found on the fish finder. I had brought a smaller anchor, 750g to use for the kayak. But today the current was pretty strong and I couldn't set the anchor firmly on the seabed. It was too light. Tried 4-5 times before it finally took hold and I started fishing.


Using dead prawn, I cast the bait towards the edge of the structure. Slowly reeling it back with a few twitches in between. After the 5th cast, I felt a light bump. Hmmm... maybe hit a snag. I lifted the rod tip hoping that the bait would clear the 'snag', but instead something pulled back! I quickly lowered the rod again and straight away I felt weight on the end of the line. Fish ON! I pulled the rod sideways as the fish was taking me into the snags and reeled fast. Soon, I managed to bring it to the surface and it was a Malabar Grouper. The black dots were on a rather pale base. Very unique design. It weighed under 1kg so after the pictures, it was released.

That was the only action of the day.









Gear used:
Rod - Shimano TCurve Tropical PE1-2
Reel - Shimano Saros 1000F
Line - Fireline Crystal 10lb
Bait - Mussels
Rig - Apollo style

Fish ID - Malabar Grouper (Epinephelus malabaricus)

No comments:

Post a Comment