Saturday, June 21, 2014

Rapala Challenge @RSYC Changi

Today is the Rapala Challenge. It's kayak fishing at RSYC Changi using only lures and metal jigs. This will be my first time fishing in these waters.

As I was rigging up my kayak for launch, my fish finder couldn't turn on. Tried as I might, I couldn't get it to turn on even after jiggling the wires and checked the battery connections. I thought I fully charged the batteries. Damn! What a bummer! Now I have to fish 'blind'.

So I continued to launch without the fish finder. Decided to do some trolling, using a deep diver lure. Without the fish finder, I could only tell if the lure is reaching the bottom by feeling the lure 'bouncing' on the bottom. After a while, I realized that I've been 'bouncing' the lure on a sandy bottom, not the best place to find fish. So I moved a bit further from shore and found the underwater breakwater. Continued to troll along the underwater breakwater but nobody was keen to take the lure.


Decided to change tackle and started using a micro jig. Had a few hits but no solid hookup. I have a feeling its those pesky Chocolate Hinds and true enough, I managed to hook one up. Switched to few other micro jigs but unfortunately no other fish was taking. Lost a deep diver lure as well as 3 other metal jigs to the rocks.

It rained shortly but after 3 hrs, I decided to head back to launch point to wash and pack up.



Can't wait for my South China Sea trip later

No comments:

Post a Comment