Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Escapee hunting

Decided to go hunt down the escapees today!

Bought $10 worth of live prawns from Gina and launched from Changi Boardwalk. Paddled across to Ubin and began to cast at places that I think might hold some fish. Paddled along the shoreline till I reached a river mouth. Looking around, I saw a large tree that had fallen over near the bank at the river mouth. "Let's try there", I said to myself. Casted a live prawn and landed right under the trunk. I let the prawn sink till the shallow bottom. Straight away I could feel the vibrations as if the prawn is darting around. Next thing, felt a sharp tug and the fish was ON! The fish darted into the snags but I managed to maneouver it out. As it came to the kayak, saw dark red sides and bingo, Mangrove Jack!




Woo hoo! So happy to land my first Mangrove Jack. Put him on my clip stringer and continued fishing. Tried the spot again but nothing turned up. Moved into the river and fished but nobody else seem to be home.

Called it a day and paddled back to the launch point with my dinner in tow!

Gear used:
Rod - Shimano Eclipse Telescopic 3-4kg
Reel - Tica
Line - generic 8lb monofilament
Bait - live prawn
Rig - Carolina style

Fish ID - Mangrove Jack (Lutjanus argentimaculatus)

No comments:

Post a Comment